Tuesday, May 5, 2015

All Our Middle Names Should Be GRACE!

I believe the reason we are given middle names is so that we will know when we are in trouble. You know what I'm talking about.  I bet your momma used to yell your middle name along with your first name when you messed up. I remember hearing, "STEPHANIE ANNE!!!!" from my mom's voice on many occasions.  It was usually followed by a lecture or some sort of discipline.  And when my daughter hears, "LEANNA GRACE!!" she knows to pay close attention.

We've all sinned.  We've all been in a position of needing our middle names yelled by our parents. And, we are all in need of grace.  I'm thankful these days that my daughter's middle name is Grace. You see, we're in the middle of those precious teenage years.  The years when the parent becomes dumber, and the child is amazingly knowledgeable of everything about everything.  The years when eyes are rolled when requests to do chores are made.  The years when hormones are reeking havoc on her body and mind.  Those precious teenage years where my Leanna Grace needs...she needs....well....she needs a little grace.


As I've studied the life of Peter in the Bible, I've realized the importance of grace.  In the book of Acts and in 2 Peter we read some of Peter's final words reminding us to live and grow in God's grace. Grace is important in our Christian walks.  As a matter of fact, it's all we need. It's by God's amazing grace that we have salvation in Jesus Christ.  It's by God's unending grace that we are able to live and move and breathe.  His grace gives us second chances and helps us practice humility, forgiveness and trust.


Check out these verses on grace:


2 Corinthians 12:9

Each time he said, "My grace is all you need. My power works best in weakness." So now I am glad to boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ can work through me."


Titus 2:11 - 12

For the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to all men.  It teaches us to say "no" to ungodliness and worldly passions, and to live self-controlled, upright and godly lives in this present age.

Ephesians 4:7

But to each one of us grace has been given as Christ apportioned it.

When I yell "LEANNA GRACE", I am reminded that I need to give grace to my Grace, and of God's AMAZING GRACE - which reminds me that I too am in need of grace.  I'm so glad my daughter's middle name is Grace these days!


Is there someone in your live that needs to receive grace from you?  When have you received undeserved grace from someone?


Lord, thank you for your amazing grace.  Your grace is sufficient. - In Jesus' name, Amen.



Look up these verses on grace and make note of what God teaches you:  Acts 6:8, Acts 15:11, Acts 20:32, Romans 5:15, Romans 5:21, Romans 12:6, 2 Corinthians 4:15, 2 Corinthians 9:14, Galatians 1:15, Ephesians 2:5 - 8, Ephesians 3: 1-7, 1 Peter 5:12, 2 Peter 3:18, Revelation 22:21.

No comments: