Tuesday, May 12, 2015

That's my God!






As I was growing up I had a warped view of God.  I thought God was sitting upon His throne with His hand on the lightening bolt button ready to sap anyone that messed up.  No one ever taught this to me.  It was just something Satan whispered to me and I believed because of my lack of biblical knowledge.  That coupled with the fact that I knew I was a sinner really kept me feeling rejected and unworthy.  I would try to be a good person, but then I would get out of bed for the day and life would happen.  I was certain that I would be struck by lightening at any given time.

In 1997 my view of God started to change because I started reading God's Word.  I was amazed to read how many times Jesus went to the broken people and didn't zap them with lightening in the process. Jesus, God with Us, offered love and compassion to those that had lived sinful lives.  He extended forgiveness to those that had never even thought they could ever be forgiven. He was different than the God I thought I knew.

Today I read 2 Chronicles 16:9 and giggled to myself.  God is actually sitting on His throne looking over the earth to find those committed to Him so He can help them.  Now, that's a God worth knowing and serving.  That's my God.

Are you committed to following Jesus?

What is your view of Jesus today?

Jesus, thank you for being a loving, grace-giving God.  Thank you for giving strength to those committed to You. - In Your Name ~ Amen.

No comments: