Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Death, Destruction and Peace


Devastating storms have hit Texas over the weekend leaving behind death and destruction.  This morning's news said there were 4 people dead and 12 people missing just north of San Antonio.  One family lost their teenage daughter in the flooding.  One man's wife and two children are missing.  Heartbreaking, gut-wrenching news.  How can this happen?  Why would God allow this?

We live in a broken world. God created a perfect world, but gave us free will when He created us. Although that free will allows us to choose to love God and have a relationship with Him, it is also what brought sin and death and destruction into God's perfect creation. So how do we navigate this broken world when all seems a mess?  For me I have to remember that the Bible says 365 times "Do not fear."  And, I remember that Jesus left us with peace.

John 14:33 says, "I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world.” 

  • How do we focus on the peace that God's have given us as an inheritance in this broken world? (this is a great discussion question for this week with your Christian friends)


Lord, I'm so thankful that my family is safe today, but I'm mindful of the families that are heartbroken from the devastation these storms have left behind.  Please wrap them in Your peace today.  Please use these circumstances to cause many people to turn to you and not away from you.  In Your precious name ~ Amen.

No comments: