Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Expect the Unexpected

In 1997 I was living in San Antonio and praying God would send me a friend.  I was so lonely.  My family was far away in another country (Mississippi), and I was spending my free time by myself in an apartment with only the TV to keep me company.  My mom mentioned to me during one of our phone conversations that there was a Cornerstone Baptist Church I should visit.  Apparently one of her friends saw their preacher on TV and thought he was a good preacher.  Well, I couldn't find Cornerstone Baptist Church in the Yellow Pages (that's what we old people used back in the day to find phone numbers).  I called the information line (1411 for those youngsters reading this blog) and asked for the listing in San Antonio for Cornerstone Baptist Church.  The operator, who could have been anywhere in the United States, explained there was no BAPTIST church under that name, but there was a Cornerstone Church listing in San Antonio.  I felt that must be the one, so I asked for their number.   The next thing he said blew me away.  He responded, "What do you need to know about this church?  I sing in the choir there and I could probably answer any questions you have about the church?"

You could have knocked me over with a feather.  I could have gotten an operator from anywhere in the United States, and yet the man on the other end of the line was from San Antonio.  AND, not just any San Antonio operator, but one that was an active member in the church I was trying to find out about.  Chills went up my spine.  I have no doubt that God was making a path for me to attend that church!  When I hung up the phone I let God know that I heard Him clearly.  I went to Cornerstone Church the very next Sunday.

God is always directing the paths of His people. He does the unexpected in our lives, and we should expect the unexpected as we walk with Him.  In Acts 10 you can read the story of a Roman army officer named Cornelius. Cornelius was a God-fearing man and very respected.  God told Cornelius to find Peter and bring him back to his home.  This was very unusual because Roman soldiers didn't socialize with Jewish people, besides the fact that Cornelius didn't even know Peter. Cornelius did know he needed to listen to God and act on His Word.  He listened and was obedient.  And Peter had to listen to God and do the unexpected as well.  Peter went to Cornelius' home and his family was saved because of it.  

What if Cornelius would not have followed the unexpected path?  What if Peter would not have followed the unexpected request?  I can only imagine what would have happened if they did not do the unexpected, but in my life I know what would have happened if I would have not gone to Cornerstone Church.  I would not have grown in my relationship with Jesus Christ at the pace God intended.  I would not have met my best friend and husband, Dean Blakeslee.  I was blessed by the unexpected direction God gave me, and so was Cornelius, and so was Peter.

Is God asking you to do something unexpected?  Maybe what He is asking you to do doesn't make sense, or maybe it is outside of your comfort zone?  Don't miss the blessings God has for you!! Follow His lead even if it is unexpected.  

Lord, thanks for doing the unexpected in my life. Thanks for blessings me time, and time, and time again more than I can ever imagine.  Please help me to always be ready for the unexpected paths you open up for me.  In Jesus' name I pray ~ Amen

For additional study read Acts 10 and list the unexpected things that happened in this chapter.  Also, make a list of the unexpected things you've done under God's direction in the past and the blessings you've received from doing those unexpected things.


No comments: