Monday, April 20, 2015

Baseball Coaches Are Ministers Too!

My son took the pitcher's mound on the little league baseball diamond this past Saturday for the first time ever. He was pretty cool under the pressure, but I was a nervous wreck.  When he struck out the first batter, my eyes filled with tears.  When he fielded the second batter's ball and threw him out at first base I lost it.  I cried like a baby in the stands. Yes, I was THAT mom in the stands.  But, in my defense I had watched my son struggle for a few years in baseball.  He wanted to play, but he's not wired to be as aggressive as some of the other boys.  He needed encouragement from someone other than his parents.  He needed a coach to see that he was good enough and that could do a good job.  

What this coach has done for my son and for many other boys he's coached is amazing and simply life changing for them.  He has said "you can do it" to little boys that need confidence.  He has impacted their lives as they are growing into little men.  I told my son's coach thanks for impacting him in such a positive way.  His reply was to say his job wasn't a big deal, and that I was the one doing the Lord's work as a Pastor. As I thought about that reply, I thought, "No, I'm not the only one doing the Lord's work! This baseball coach is a minister too!!"

In Matthew 28 Jesus tells us to go into the world and make disciples.  I don't think He meant that some Christians would be disciples.  I think He meant ALL Christians should go into the world  And, when He said go into the world, I think He meant to go into the world...into offices, neighborhoods, other churches, AND onto baseball fields.  He wants us to shine where we are planted for Him.  Look what Jesus said in Matthew 5: 14-16:

“You are the light of the world—like a city on a hilltop that cannot be hidden. No one lights a lamp and then puts it under a basket. Instead, a lamp is placed on a stand, where it gives light to everyone in the house. In the same way, let your good deeds shine out for all to see, so that everyone will praise your heavenly Father."

God wants us to be a light in this dark world.  YOU are a minister as much as I am a minister.  

Where's your ministry field?  Who in  your life needs to feel the love of Jesus?  Where can you shine your light that is in your normal routine?

Lord, thank you for Coach Kevin and the other Christian men and women that influence the next generation in a positive way.  Thank you for those shining their lights for You in the office place, in the classroom, and in their neighborhoods.  You are an amazing God that loves us, and I am thankful today for your Son that you sent to die for me. It's in His Precious Name I pray. ~ Amen.

For additional study read 1 Corinthians 12: 1-11 and Ephesians 4:7-13.  How has God gifted you? How can you use these gifts for His glory?
Nate warming up before his first batter.

No comments: