Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Joy and Humility - They Go Together!


"Teacher, which is the most important commandment in the law of Moses?" 
Jesus replied, "You must love the Lord your God with all your heart, all your soul, and all your mind.  this is the first and greatest commandment.  A second is equally important: Love your neighbor as yourself."  Matthew 22: 36-40
  

Humility is NOT a four letter word.  And you know what else, humility is NOT thinking less of yourself.  It is thinking of yourself less.  Jesus lived a humble life and taught us not only by His Words, but also by His actions that being humble was important.  

In this world that teaches us to focus on ourselves, how can we live humbly?  I'm learning to do this with JOY.   I use JOY to remind me how to live humbly.  Here's how I do that:

The "J" in joy stand for Jesus.   This reminds me to put Jesus first in my life.  I try to start my day with Him.  I pray to Him throughout the day.  I talk to Him when I'm in my car, and my shower, and everywhere!  I consistently have to think about what Jesus wants of me each day and not what my own desires are.  Doing this helps me to humble myself  before God and remind myself that He is Lord, and I am not.

The "O" in joy stands for others.  This reminds me to love others, and that others should come after Jesus in my life.  It reminds me to forgive others even when it's hard to forgive them.  It reminds me to serve others even when it's not convenient.  It reminds me to even let people go in front of me in lines.  Doing this helps me bring glory and honor to God. 

The "Y" in joy stand for yourself.  This reminds me to place Jesus first, then others, and then my own needs in my priority list.  Now, this doesn't mean I don't have healthy boundaries.  No, I still have healthy boundaries.  But it reminds me that I can be humble in how I live while also loving myself. 

Matthew 23:12 "For those who exalt themselves will be humbled, and those who humble themselves will be exalted."

  • What does humility look like in your life?
  • Do you put your needs above the desire of God and others?

Lord, please help me to be humble in my words and my actions.  Please forgive me for when I haven't put you and others first before my own wants and desires.  I do want to bring glory to you.  - In your precious Son's name I pray - Amen

No comments: