Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Answer the Call

What do you think has been the best invention in the last 35 years?  I admit this is a loaded question.  I know what some of you are thinking!  You’re thinking it’s the internet.  YES, praise God…let online shopping flow.  Seriously, the search engines we now have at our fingertips are amazing.  And speaking of having something at our fingertips, what about the mobile phone?  Oh, how thankful I am that I can call my daughter from the school parking lot and tell her to come to the car without ever having to get out of the car.  Yet additional proof that God loves me.  But my favorite invention of the last 35 years is…..drum roll please….Caller ID.    That’s right.  Caller ID is amazing.  I no longer have to wonder who is calling to interrupt my dinner with my family.  I no longer have to wonder who called and did not leave a message.  And I no longer have to wonder if I missed anything.

Revelation 3:20 says, “Here I am!  I stand at the door and knock.  If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with that person, and they with me.”  God is calling out to us in this scripture, and He’s doing it with Caller ID.  He clearly wants us to know He is calling us and that He doesn’t want us to miss anything.  And if we answer the call, He will “come in and eat with” us.  That’s a call I don’t want to miss!  God, the Creator of the World, wants a friendship with me.  Well shut the front door!!! Oh wait!  No.  That’s a bad expression for this verse.  Actually, we would do well to OPEN the front door to Him.  And as we open the door to Him, He opens up His amazing plans for us…….plans not to harm us but to give us hope and a future. (Jeremiah 29:11) 

Answering God’s call for me has been an amazing journey.  It reminds me of the TV show, Charlie’s Angels.  In this show three women private detectives lived an eventful life after answering a call from their boss, Charlie.  They had many laughs, great fun doing different events, but they also had hard days of chasing down bad guys.  But the key in all their adventures was answering the call from Charlie.

Is God calling you today?  Maybe He’s calling you to salvation through His son Jesus Christ.  We’re all sinners, but because of Jesus’ death on the cross our sins have been paid.  We just have to accept this free gift.  

Or maybe God is calling you to a mission in His name.  Is He asking you to serve someone or somewhere? You don’t want to miss out on the excitement and adventure of a lifetime, so I would strongly suggest you answer the call!

Lord, thank you for standing at the door of our hearts and knocking. Help us to be mindful of what you are calling us to while we are here on this earth. In the name of Jesus - Amen.

No comments: