Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Texas Trust

And we know that God causes everything to work together for the good of those who love God and are called according to his purpose. Romans 8:28

“For I know the plans I have for you,” says the Lord, “They are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and hope.”  Jeremiah 29:11

I did not want to move to Texas.  I’m a Mississippi girl and I can prove it with my Southern drawl.  I love Mississippi.  It’s where my people come from.  It’s where I learned about Southern Baptist churches and Jesus.  It’s where I learned how to navigate a pickup truck down country roads.  It’s where I learned to cook fried chicken and homemade macaroni and cheese. Y’all, Mississippi is in the heart of this girl.  But God, well, He wanted me in Texas.

I was pretty salty about being in Texas the first year.  Honestly, I didn’t really trust God with my future so I was pretty sure I was supposed to take the wheel along life’s highway and direct myself right back to my hometown.  I sent resume after resume after resume to places in Mississippi looking for the right job to land me back in the Friendly State.  I was educated and experienced in business, so finding a job should not have been a problem.  But every door I knocked on was shut.  I was stuck in Texas. 

Now, all this is not to say Texas isn’t wonderful.  It’s just not where I was comfortable back then.  I wanted to be where I was comfortable.  I wanted to be around people that knew me.  Texas couldn’t offer these things to me at that time. 

I have now lived in Texas for 18 years.  In that length of time I have met and married the man of my dreams, had two wonderful healthy children, met many lifelong friends, and grown closer to my Lord and Savior.   Although I didn’t think God was trustworthy when I moved to Texas, looking back on the last 18 years now I see that He is completely trustworthy.  I’m so glad He moved me to Texas.  He was working things out in my life for me, even when I couldn’t see it.  It didn’t make sense to me, but He had a different perspective.  It was painful to be so far away from my family, and weekly fried chicken dinners, but God knew what was best for me.  Hind sight is 20/20.  If I knew then what I know now, I would have run to Texas.  If I had even a glimpse of what God was going to do in my life, I would definitely not have been so uncomfortable and I would have simply trusted him.  God bless Texas!

·        Is there something safe and comfortable that God may be calling you to leave behind?

·        What has changed in your life after going through a storm or something new?

·        How is your trust in Jesus shown in your life?


Jesus, I trust You.  I know you have good plans for me and that you are working in my life for my good.  Please forgive me when I  haven’t trusted you and when I’ve tried to direct my life with disregard to what you may have planned for me.  Your plans are so much better than anything I could ever dream for myself. In the precious name of Jesus, Amen.

No comments: