Sunday, January 22, 2012

Commitment

I am so glad that I live in a day where we have wonderful technology!  I am so glad I don't have to wash clothes by hand!  I'm so glad I have a phone in my purser that helps me navigate when I don't know where I'm going and also gives me games to play while I'm in the carpool line at my kids school waiting for my turn.  I love my microwave that help me prepare a quick meal on baseball practice days.  I feel so blessed to live in this day and time!

I have a friend named Pat.  Pat is a precious sister in Christ and in her early 80's.  I'm sure if you sat down and asked her about the progression of technology she has seen over her lifetime she would amaze you with her answer.  From no TVs to TVs in our cars.  From ice boxes to refrigerators.  From no phones to phones in our cars.  Wow!  The changes she has seen.

Along with the positive changes, there have been some negative changes... changes you and I have noticed but maybe have become immune to.  Changes to stuff like what we watch on TV, changes to how we value the Word of God, and maybe changes to what commitment looks like. 

It's the change in our commitment standards that's really bugging me today.  I see people leaving marriages for lack of commitment.  I see people volunteering but not following through on their commitment to help.  I see people committing to things and then for whatever reason just not keeping their commitments.  That really bugs me.  Where is the integrity in our words if our words don't really mean what we say?  Can someone consider me honest if I tell you I will do something but don't follow through?

This past week we had a gentleman in his 60's give us a bid for some repairs around our home.  Not a big deal other than he showed up when he said he would and he got us the bid back in writing sooner than he agreed to do so.  There's a younger guy that supposed to give us a bid.  It's now 1:30 and he was supposed to be here at 12:30.  Isn't that interesting.  It looks to me like a lack of commitment.

And then there's my friend Pat that I mentioned.  This week she watched her husband of 62 years leave this world and go to his eternal home in Heaven.  She stood by her man in sickness and in health, until in death did he depart.  Were all of their 62 years amazing great with no struggles and no fights?  I bet not!  But she honored her commitment.  She is a woman of integrity and honor and grace and, well, a woman of commitment. 

What are you committed to?  Are you keeping your commitments? 

Lord, help me to be a woman of integrity.  Help me to honor my commitments.  Thank you for blessing me with a friend like Pat.  Please bless Pat as she mourns the loss of her husband.  Thank you for the example they set for the rest of us as they walked together as husband and wife.  ~ Amen

No comments: