Monday, February 6, 2012

From Your Heart

Have you ever seen a teakettle when it gets hot?  I love cooking instant grits, so I get to see this quite often.  You pour water in the pot, put the lid on the pot, and finally put it on the stove on high.  Then you just wait.  When the water gets boiling hot, steam gushes out the top and it starts screaming to let you know it's had enough heat.  Water was put inside the pot, and now it's coming out of the top of the pot in the form of steam. 

We're like that you know.  We scream out things when we're over the heat and we've had enough.  You know it.  You've seen it.  You've experienced it.  You do it.

This last week this is what I've seen come screaming out of people when they've been put over some heat:
  • anger
  • rage
  • resentment
  • sarcasm
  • laughter
  • prayer
  • kindness
  • consideration
  • tears
  • bitterness
  • humbleness

Why is it that all these different emotions and attitudes can come screaming out of us when we are over the flames?  What makes us respond differently to heated situations?  Well,  it goes back to what we put in our personal teakettle, which is really your heart!  Whatever we fill up with will ultimately be what we scream out when we are heated up.  If you are filling up on junk, then it's likely junk will spew out of you.  If you are filling up on godly things, then it's likely that godly things will flow out of you. 

Think about the last time you responded in a heated situation.  Did you yell?  Did you demand your own way?  Or, did you try to understand the other party better? Did you consider the other person's feelings or wants? 

We are all given OPPORTUNITIES to pour into and onto other people.  I have to tell you that I want to pour Jesus into and onto the other people I come in contact with.  Sometimes it's hard, but I would much rather them see Jesus than the ugly old me.  And honestly, the ones that make me the hottest are the ones that need Jesus more!!! 

Whether you communicating face to face, email to email, Facebook message to Facebook message, text to text, or blog to blog,  think about what is pouring out of you. 

Matthew 15:18 says,"But the words you speak come from the heart—that’s what defiles you."
Lord, help me to fill my heart up with You and Your Word.  When I'm giving opportunities that present themselves as heat, please help me to pour into and onto that person Your Words....words of love and patience and kindness.  Thank you for loving me.  Thank you for putting up with me.  Thank you that you have been merciful to me.  Help me to be merciful to others.  In Your Son's Name ~ Amen

No comments: