Monday, January 16, 2012

Livin' the Dream

Today we remember Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.  I can't think of him and not think of the words, "I have a dream."  Our lives were changed for the better because Dr. King, along with countless others, had a dream that the world we live in would consider all people equal.  Although we have a ways to go worldwide, I do see that dream coming true.

Dr. King was not just a any dreamer, he was a Christian dreamer.  You see I believe there is a difference between those that love Jesus that dream, and those that don't love Jesus that dream.  In Psalm 37:4 it says that if you delight yourself in the Lord, He will give you the desires of your heart.  So, for those that do not follow Jesus, their dreams may or may not come true.  But for those of us that follow Jesus, for those of us who call Him "Lord", I strongly believe He will allow our dreams to come true.  In His timing, He will give us that believe and delight ourselves in Him the desires of our hearts.

Ok, so there's a few of you that might be thinking this is just not accurate.  There are some Christians, some of them my friends, that have prayed for months and even years to have children, or to receive healing, or something major, and it has not come to pass.  I don't pretend to know God's ways.   I don't know what He has planned in all our lives, but I do know one thing.  I know that if we delight in Him, He will give us our dreams.  It will just be in His timing and not our own.  And, I also know that if we delight in Him, He will cause our desires/dreams to change to line up with His plan for our life.  I know both of these from personal experience. 

I dreamed of having kids, but in 2000 was pretty tired of praying for a family.  After two miscarriages and lots of tearful nights, I wasn't sure that God's timing was good.  I wasn't even sure God heard my prayers!  Looking back now I can see that God's timing was perfect.  I did get those kids I prayed and asked God to give me, but it was in His timing and not mine.  I remind myself how much I prayed for kids every time one of those little answers to prayers smarts off to me or rolls their eyes at me!  HA!

And I'm so glad that God changed some of the desires of my heart as I've delighted myself in Him. The closer I've gotten to Jesus, the less important my business has been to me.  The closer I've gotten to Jesus, the more important women's ministry has become to me.  I no longer am concerned with what my net income looks like for my company, but yet I am more concerned with reaching souls for Christ.  I'm so glad God is changing my desires!

Today as we think about "I have a dream", I pray that each one reading this will think of their dreams.  I pray that each one will think about delighting themselves in the Lord so their dreams will come true!  He is the Giver of all things good!  He does make dreams come true!

Jesus, thanks for giving me the desires of my heart.  Thanks for making my dreams come true.  You are an amazing and gracious God.   ~ Amen

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBx4vPr27fo&feature=related

No comments: