Tuesday, August 25, 2015

He Speaks to Stubborn People

"Pay for her groceries."  That's what I heard. Not in a audible voice, but in my heart. I didn't know the lady in front of me. All I knew was that she had tried to pay for her groceries in the express line, but her card was denied. It was about to rain outside, so this poor woman was going to have to drive home in the rain and then come back to the grocery store unless I was obedient to the voice. I knew it was God speaking to me, but honestly, I argued with Him. I had a dozen reasons why I could not pay for her groceries, and yet God kept telling me to just do it. So I did it, but not with a grateful heart. I was actually a little salty about it.

Why is it that I argued with God over this? I'm a Pastor at a church, and I'm arguing with Him over helping someone out? Really? (Nice job preacher.) And, when has God ever led me down the wrong path? My experience with walking with Him as Lord should have taught me enough by now to just do as He says and NOT to rationalize things. He is trustworthy! He is faithful! His plans for me are good! I am apparently as they say...stubborn.
  • How are you with being obedient to God?
  • When is it hard to trust God?
  • What does The Holy Spirit do for us?
A week after I paid for the stranger's groceries I received a note in the mail from her with all of my money back. It turns out she had given a homeless person some money that week, and her friend told her that God would bless her 10 times what she had given to the homeless person. She disagreed with her friend and indicated that she felt like God had forgotten her. When I paid for her groceries, which was 10 times the amount she gave to the homeless person, she felt as if God was reminding her that she still matters to Him. Her faith may have been increased, but I want you to know that I'm the one that learned the lesson that day.

God is trustworthy in all things. Listening to the Holy Spirit is important.

Lord, forgive me when I have questioned you and when I have not been obedient. Thank you for loving me and gently guiding me through the Holy Spirit. I pray I will never miss an opportunity to serve you and bring glory to Your Name. - It's in that Precious Name I pray ~ Amen.

For a deeper study: 
  • Look up Holy Spirit in your Bible concordance and the verses associated with the Holy Spirit. Find what the Holy Spirit does for Believers. Make note of those verses in your Bible.

No comments: