Wednesday, March 25, 2015

I Messed Up A Gift

He asked me to call my neighbor and it took me three days to pick up the phone and make that call. THREE DAYS to make a phone call.  Really?!?!?!   It wasn't like I was being asked to go to China in a row boat or to speak in front of 100,000 people.  Oh no!!  I was being asked to call my neighbor and check on her.    I was being asked to pick up my portable phone, dial a number, put the phone to my ear, and have a conversation. It was really that easy.  And, if you know me you know I'm all about conversation.  I love chatting with other women. But, I was busy and decided not to not take action.  The problem was, it was God's voice I was ignoring. 


The voice I ignored was that of the Holy Spirit. In Acts 1:4-5, Jesus instructed His Disciples to not leave Jerusalem until they had received a "gift" being sent by the Father.  That "gift" was the Holy Spirit.  The Bible says the Holy Spirit is our Advocate and Teacher. (John 14:26)  It also says that the Holy Spirit helps convict us of our sin, tells us what is truth, and helps us with His future plans for us. (John 16:8, 16:13)  That makes the Holy Spirit such a precious gift to us!  The problem is we don't always listen to the Holy Spirit, and when we chose to ignore Him then we are really ignoring the Gift we've been given.

I have to tell you that once I did make the call, three days late, I found out that my sweet neighbor had hurt her back.  She was now feeling better, but I had missed my chance to help her.  My heart was broken.  I would have loved to have taken her a meal, or simply sat and talked to her.  But I didn't listen.  She could have used my help, and I would have been blessed to have helped.  I had ignore The Gift.  I wonder what else I've missed because I wasn't listening to the Holy Spirit?

What about you?  Is there a time in your life when you've listen to what God was asking you to do and were blessed by it?  Or, is there a time in your life that you ignored what God was asking of you and then reaped the benefit of not listening and obeying?

Lord, help me to be a good listener!  I never want to be someone who does not listen to your instructions, and I never want to be going down the wrong path because I didn't listen! Your Word says you have good plans for me so I know I can trust You with what you say to me and ask of me.  Forgive me for when I have failed.  And please, bless my sweet neighbors today.  In Jesus' Name - Amen.

For more information on the Holy Spirit:
  • Read Acts 1 and 2.  List what these scriptures says about the Holy Spirit?
  • Read the following verses and write them in your own words: John 14:26, John 15:26, John 16:8, John 16:13, Luke 11:13, Ephesians 1:13, Ephesians 4:30, 1 Thessalonians 4;8).
  • Have these verses changed how you view the Holy Spirit?
  • What can you to to improve your listening skills when it comes to the Holy Spirit?

No comments: