Saturday, October 29, 2011

By FAITH for WORKS!

You can't work your way into heaven.  There's nothing you can do that will make you good enough to stand in front of a Perfect God and get into heaven. You can only get to heaven by FAITH in Jesus Christ. (John 3:16; Romans 3:21-26) I mean, can you imagine standing in front of a perfect God and telling Him all the good works you did to qualify for heaven?!??!!?!  I think He would laugh.  There's not enough good I can do to cover up the sins in my life.  I'm so thankful for grace and mercy from a loving Savior, and for being deemed righteous because of my faith in Christ.

However, if we read James 2:14-25 we find that faith without good deeds is dead. (Read it for yourself!)  Now, the Bible's not saying we are saved by our works.  It's saying we are saved by faith FOR works.  If we are truly saved, we want to do good works for the glory of God.  Ephesians 2:8-10 even says that God planned in advance that we would do good works. 

Do you consider yourself a Christian?  If so, what good works have you done in the last 48 hours?  I was thinking about that and was real convicted.  I do take care of my family, but I'm supposed to do that.  I think we're to do good works that go beyond what we typically do.  For example, I think it wouldn't kill me to take out the garbage for my husband every now and then.  It would also be a good idea to write a sweet note to my daughter every now and then. And what about my neighbors?  If I am to call myself a Christian, shouldn't I show them some good deeds that reflect Christ in me? 

You know that old saying, "actions speak louder than words"?  I think that is so true, especially for Christians. 

Lord, help me to show others my faith by my actions.  Help me to remember that You created me to do good works. ~ Amen

No comments: