Tuesday, October 11, 2011

I've Got That Joy, Joy, Joy, Joy....Down in My Heart!

Did you know Christians are commanded to be joyful?!?!?  That's right.  It's not an option.  As a matter of fact, Philippians 4:4 says to ALWAYS be joyful.  It does not say be joyful when others are joyful, or when things are good or when you are on cloud 9.  It says we should be joyful in ALL circumstances.

Now, I don't know about you but I've had some days that I didn't think JOY was going to be a part of my attitude.  You know those days.  You wake up late.  Your dog throws up on your new rug.  You burn breakfast.  Your kids remind you 5 minutes before the are to walk out the door that they have a project due that they forgot about.  And you have PMS.  You get my drift?  NOT A JOYFUL KIND OF A DAY!

But yet, we are commanded to be joyful in all circumstances.  ALL CIRCUMSTANCES! 

So, how in the world do we do it?  Well, first we have to get our praise on.  In Psalm it says that Jesus inhabits the praises of His people.  If you start praising God, it will put some joy in your heart.  I like to put in some Third Day Christian rock music.  Maybe you like to listen to Southern Gospel.   However you like to praise, just do it! 

Secondly, we should realize that life will NOT be perfect on this side of Glory.  If Jesus suffered while He was on earth, why in the world should we think we will not have bad days.  And honestly, when I compare my suffering to His suffering...well....it makes me want to go back to step one and PRAISE HIM MORE!

Finally, we need to look at problems as OPPORTUNITIES to bring God more glory instead of just problems.  When I don't yell and scream during those bad mornings like I mentioned above, my kids learn how to act under stressful circumstances.  It is an OPPORTUNITY to teach them.  All negative circumstances have opportunities if we look for them.

Joy is a Fruit of the Spirit.  I ultimately need Jesus in my life daily to help with my joy.  I'm so thankful that I can truly rejoice in all circumstances because of the hope I have in Him.

Lord, thank you for allowing me opportunities to express my joy.  Help me to be joyful always and forgive me for when I'm not joyful.  ~ Amen

No comments: