Saturday, December 24, 2011

The Word Became Flesh

Not a creature is stirring, not even mouse!  Since that was indeed the case in my house at 5:00 am, why in the heck did I wake up?  Why am I typing on my blog at 6:00 am on a cold, Christmas Eve morning when I could be sleeping late...in a warm, cozy bed?!?!?  I will be up late tonight wrapping gifts, and I know my kids will have me out of bed early tomorrow morning for sure.  I'm really missing a great chance to sleep in.  It's just, well...it's just my mind won't stop thinking about Jesus. 

Everyone everywhere is celebrating this weekend.  The lights, the music, the parties, the services...they will all be fun and will make our senses dance.  It truly is the most wonderful time of the year!  It's a time to reflect on the manger scene and what that means to those that love Him.  This Christmas season I've been reflecting more on the beginning than the manger scene.  For whatever reason, God has taken me to the book of Genesis, and the first chapter of John many times.  He's been reminding me that the story of Christmas, the REAL story of Christmas, did not start at the manger scene.  OK, now I know you think I've lost my mind.  Christmas not starting with the manager scene?  That's right.  That's what I'm thinking.

God has been taking me to the first chapter of John for the past few weeks.  Have you read that chapter lately?  It is full of amazing things.  Let me show you some of them.

In the beginning the Word already existed.
The Word was with God,
and the Word was God.
2 He existed in the beginning with God.
3 God created everything through him,
and nothing was created except through him. 4 The Word gave life to everything that was created,[a]
and his life brought light to everyone.
5 The light shines in the darkness,
and the darkness can never extinguish it.[b]
6 God sent a man, John the Baptist,[c] 7 to tell about the light so that everyone might believe because of his testimony. 8 John himself was not the light; he was simply a witness to tell about the light. 9 The one who is the true light, who gives light to everyone, was coming into the world.
10 He came into the very world he created, but the world didn’t recognize him. 11 He came to his own people, and even they rejected him. 12 But to all who believed him and accepted him, he gave the right to become children of God. 13 They are reborn—not with a physical birth resulting from human passion or plan, but a birth that comes from God.
14 So the Word became human[d] and made his home among us. He was full of unfailing love and faithfulness.[e] And we have seen his glory, the glory of the Father’s one and only Son.


In the beginning (before the creation of our Earth) The WORD WAS GOD and the WORD BECOMES HUMAN (aka JESUS)!!!   Jesus, the Creator!  The little baby wrapped in a manger that was the Creator of the World.  NOTHING WAS CREATED EXCEPT THROUGH HIM!  That's where the Christmas story begins. IN THE BEGINNING!

Why would God...Holy, Most Powerful, The Creator....come to dwell among us?  I know, I know....to save us, but let's think about the whole idea of Him saving us.  He could have planned to save us in many ways.  I mean, He's GOD!  But yet, He chose to come to this earth, AND be born in a manger for the love of Pete!  Well, no, actually for the love of us all...not just Pete!  (-:  Why?  Why would He do this?  Maybe because He wanted to be with us?  I know I want to be with my kids!  He's our Father so I'm sure as any Father He wanted to walk with us and to talk to us and to laugh with us and to cry with us.  He wanted to teach us His ways.  He wanted to show us His grace and mercy. 

And then He reminded me.  John 3:16.  We all know it.  I can recite this verse so quickly it will make your head spin.  But think about it.  "For God so loved the world.."  God LOVED the world.  Not liked, or was amused by, but LOVED.  He had created us out of His own image and He loves us.  So much so, that He would leave His throne and come to walk among us.  And then, He would die for us.

Today is Christmas Eve. I am so glad God woke me up early this morning so I can celebrate longer today.  Yea, I missed some good sleep-in time, but I much prefer this time reflecting on His Word...on the Word that became flesh!

Happy birthday, Jesus, my Creator.  I'm so glad You came to save us.

Merry Christmas to all who choose to read this.  I pray your day is filled with family and fun, but that your heart be filled with the love of Christ. 

~ Stephanie




No comments: