Monday, May 3, 2010

Doubt

In the last several months I've had the opportunity to read about how God led Moses and the people of Israel out of slavery and towards the Promised Land. God was faithful to them. He not only took them out of slavery, but He parted the Red Sea doing it! Then, He covers them with a cloud for protection, and of course provides food and water for them. In my mind God left these people with no room to doubt Him.

I also think about the disciples of Jesus. They had spent so much time with Him. They had seen the miracles. They knew Lazareth was raised from the dead. They had seen a little bit of fish and bread feed thousands of people. There was no room left for them to doubt that He was indeed the Savior.


So what do the disciples and the chosen people of Israel have in common? What did they do even though the proof was shown to them over and over? They doubted. They chose not be believe and they doubted. In Numbers 13 and 14 we read how the Israelites said they couldn't go and conquer the land because the people living there were too big. Too big for God? Really? Seriously, that's what they thought? Read it for yourself in Numbers 13:31. And while your in the Bible, read in the New Testament about "Doubting Thomas" in John 20: 19-29.

Doubt is the absence of faith. It is a lack of confidence or assurance that God will keep His promises. So why do we doubt? Fear, anger, withdrawal, bitterness, not having the facts. All these could cause doubt. But one thing is for sure, doubt is contagious. Numbers 14:1-2 states how the Israelites reacted after they listened to the doubters. They started complaining and were anxious about their future.

Is doubting a problem for you? Sometimes it is for me. Sometimes I have to actively quote scripture from the Bible to remind myself of God's promises for me. Doubt is not only destructive for those around me, but it can be debilitating for me. It can certainly lead me down the wrong path, a path that God does not want me to go.

Below is what I think are some common doubting issues we face, AND some scripture to fight these doubts:

1. I am worried about my future. (health, employment, marriage, children) JEREMIAH 29:11 "FOR I KNOW MY PLANS FOR YOU DECLARES THE LORD. PLANS TO PROSPER YOU AND NOT TO HARM YOU, PLANS TO GIVE YOU HOPE AND A FUTURE"

2. I am worried about my finances. (MATTHEW 6:26 "LOOK AT THE BIRDS OF THE AIR; THEY DO NOT SOW OR REAP OR STORE AWAY IN BARNS, AND YET YOUR HEAVENLY FATHER FEEDS THEM. ARE YOU NOT MUCH MORE VALUABLE THAN THEY?"

3. I worry about my eternity. (JOHN 3:16 "FOR GOD SO LOVED THE WORLD THAT HE GAVE HIS ONLY BEGOTTEN SON, THAT WHOSOEVER BELIEVES IN HIM WILL NOT PERISH BUT HAVE ETERNAL LIFE." and LUKE 1:4 "SO THAT YOU MAY KNOW THE CERTAINTY OF THE THINGS YOU HAVE BEEN TAUGHT."

4. I doubt I am seen as beautiful or worthy. (PSALM 139:14 "I PRAISE YOU BECAUSE I AM FEARFULLY AND WONDERFULLY MADE.")

No comments: