Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Be Sure Of What You Hope For

Hebrews 11:1 "Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see."

Hebrews gives us a pretty straight forward definition of faith. Faith is being SURE of what we hope for and CERTAIN of what we do not see. Are you sure of what you hope for? Are you certain of what you do not see?

I believe that if a I enter the bills I need to pay into my bank's bill pay system, then my bills will be paid. I have faith in that bill pay system. I also believe that if I am out of town for a few days, that my husband will take care of my kids while I'm away. I have faith in my husband. You see, we tend to ACT on what we believe.

I have really enjoyed reading the book, "Lord, Change My Attitude" by James MacDonald and learning how I can improve my attitude. His writings on faith are wonderful. But honestly, I can't talk about faith and having true faith without thinking of Lee Strobel and his books, "The Case For Faith" and "The Case For Christ". You see, Lee didn't start out with faith in God. As a matter of fact, he started out as an atheist. He actually set out to prove that Jesus was not the Savior of the world and in the process he became a Christian. Lee is a well educated man and after much research this is what he writes in his book:

"As someone educated in journalism and law, I was trained to respond to the facts, wherever they lead. For me, the data demonstrated convincingly that Jesus is the Son of God who died as my substitute to pay the penalty I deserve for the wrongdoing I had committed."

On November 8, 1981 Lee Strobel asked Jesus for help and became a Christian. He further states in his book, "There were no lighting bolts, or audible replies, no tingly sensations." Simple as that, Lee became a Christian. And then what did he do, he ACTED on his faith. He wrote some books and began telling others of his faith and what he had discovered when he researched Jesus.

Faith is not anti-intellectual. Faith is not escapism. Faith is not "mind science". Faith is an ACTIVE belief in God. It is confidence in God's Word. One with faith not only believes for them self, but also tells others of their belief.

And how important is faith? Faith isn't just a part of the Christian life, it's the whole thing! Check out Hebrews 11 to find out what God thinks about faith.... more specifically 11:1 and 11:6

Do you have FAITH in God? Have you told Jesus that you need Him as your Savior? It seems so complicated but it is really easy. No lighting bolts will strike, no tingly feelings.....just asking Him to be your Savior and then living by FAITH in Him is the key.

If you're still doubtful that Jesus is the Savior, then I suggest you do what Lee Strobel did. Research. Go read for yourself. I think you will find it takes more faith to not believe in Jesus than faith to believe in Jesus.

And if you are confident in your faith, how you acting? Do your actions confirm your faith?

Lord, help me to walk in faith and not in my flesh.

No comments: