Wednesday, January 27, 2010

God Winked At Me!

Ever heard of a "God wink"? It's when God does something that you know without a doubt He did. Well, God winked at me yesterday.

Before I tell you about the God wink, let me tell you about my family history. I was raised in Petal, Mississippi with my big brother, Scotty. My parents, Tommy and Cheryl, have been married for 42 years. Most of those 42 years my Dad has struggled with an addition to alcohol. Now, let me say my dad was a pretty good dad when I was growing up. He wasn't perfect by any stretch of the imagination, but he was at my softball games. He encouraged me to do well in school and go to college. And, he was always a good provider for my family. But he drank a lot, and that became worse after I was an adult. Because of his drinking, my mom hasn't really had a companion. She would spend most nights by herself because my dad would go to bed immediately after supper. Of course, my family has spent years praying for my dad. I personally have asked God time after time to heal my dad from alcoholism. Prayer after prayer. Day after day.

About 4 months ago my dad found out he was a diabetic. Although that was upsetting to us, my dad decided to put down the beer because of his health problems. We weren't sure how long that would last, but I'm glad to say it's been over 4 months now that he hasn't had a drink. Answer to prayer? You bet it is!!!

So, last week I found out that my mom was having hip replacement surgery this week. Because I live so far away, and because of our crazy lives this month, it was virtually impossible for me to plan to be there to take care of my mom with such short notice. I started praying that the Lord would take care of my mom. I told God how bad it felt that I wasn't able to be there with her for this surgery. You see, my dad hasn't really taken care of my mom when she's been sick in the past. Plus, my brother is busy as a single parent so it was killing me that I wouldn't be able to be there for my mom. I was crying out to God with a broken heart, and prayers for healing for my mom.

God started telling me He was going to take care of my mom by having my brother's girlfriend, Wyn, call me and reassure me. Wyn told me she would be there with my dad and brother as much as possible and that was very comforting to me. But I still wanted to be there so badly.

So the surgery was yesterday. I didn't sleep the night before, and woke up sick to my stomach. I just wanted to be there with my mom, and God knew it. Around 7:30 am my dad called and said Mom was doing great and ready for surgery. He also said he would be there all day, and that my brother would be there as well. That was an answer to prayer. But then what he said next was God winking at me. He said to me, "Oh, and by the way. Your friend, Amy, is going to be your mom's surgical nurse today. She'll be with your mom all the way through surgery." Amy is a close friend of mine from high school and college.

Ok, do you know the odds of a close friend of mine being in surgery with my mom? I knew, without a doubt that God had done that. He didn't do that to take better care of my mom because He was taking great care of her. He did that to show me He loves me and wanted to comfort me as well. He wanted me to be at peace. I'm confident He did this for me. And Amy played the roll perfectly. She was the nurse that picked my mom up to take her to the OR. Minutes after getting to the OR and getting Mom under sedation, she called my brother to let him know she was doing great. She stayed on top of things for us. She even emailed me to let me know Mom was doing great. And if that wasn't enough, I found out later in the day that another high school friend of mine, Angie, was a nurse on my mom's floor last night and would be checking on her!!!! Amazing! And a second wink if you ask me!

I was praising God all day yesterday for His love for me and my family. I woke up thinking about my mom of course, and a little bit ago got a call from Dad saying she had a great night. The doctor said she is doing wonderful. And how did my dad know so early in the morning how Mom was doing? Well, he had spent the night at the hospital with her. The man that was so wrapped up in himself and his beer 1 year ago had spent the night checking on his wife of 42 years.

Long-time prayers answered. Recent prayers answered. God winked at me, and more than once! I am overwhelmed. My heart is so full of thankfulness. Praises to our King of Kings!

He hears our prayers and He is working, even when we can't see Him working, He is working.

1 comment:

Jenn said...

How awesome is that!!! And I'm going to bet there were lots more winks that you weren't even aware of. Those were just the ones you saw!

God is so good to us. All the time!!

Love you!

Jenn