Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Adios Complaining! Hola Thankfulness!

What the best way to stop complaining? According to James MacDonald, it's replace the complaining with THANKFULNESS. You know, I think he's right. In Luke 17 Jesus tells the story of 10 lepers being healed, and emphasizes that only one of them returned to Him to say thanks. How sad is that?!?!! If you had a terrible disease and were healed of it, would you be thankful? I know I would. Yet, every day Jesus blesses us with healing of all different kinds of things and in my opinion we aren't as grateful as we should be. Here are the notes from James' video second video session on "Lord, Change My Attitude". His words sure spoke to me!

  • Gratitude is the attitude that sets the altitude for living.
  • Attitude is everything.
  • Faith grows in the soil of gratitude.
  • Gratitude means to show that a kindness received is valued.
  • Thankfulness is a decision.
  • Thankfulness is a decision based in reality.
  • Thankfulness is a life changing decision.

James mentioned that he read a list of 20 things you should do to improve your health, and the #1 thing to do was to be thankful for all the good in your life! I know a lot of us start out each new year focused on improving our health. With this in mind, I think we should be talking about having a thankful attitude.

Do how do you know if you're a thankful person? Well, how do you pray? When you pray do you ask God to fix everything, or is most of your prayer telling Him thank you for what He has done in your life? How often do you just praise Him, whether in song or just simple words when you're alone with Him? When something bad happens, how do you react?

The Lord is changing me through this study. My eyes are being opened at how much I complain and how much I have to be thankful for. Here's a list of what I am thankful for today:

  • I'm thankful that my family doesn't live in Haiti. Can you relate?!?!
  • I'm thankful that I live in a country where I can vote, worship how I want to worship, and for the soldiers that help us keep our freedom.
  • I'm thankful for the ladies I do Bible study with. Each week I see Jesus in them and I learn from them.
  • I'm thankful that my kids are healthy. Praise God for this blessing!
  • I'm thankful for a husband that loves me and provides for his family and is a great father to our kids.
  • I'm thankful for friends that pray for me and encourage me.
  • I'm thankful for parents that loved me and that my kids get to know them too.
  • I'm thankful that today I have a home to clean up. That makes me think of Haiti again.
  • I'm thankful for a church that sincerely loves Jesus and tries to get others connected more with Him.
  • I'm thankful that I've finished exercising for today! (-:

If we think, we've got a lot more things to be thankful for than thing to complain about! Praises to the King of Kings!

Post your comments to the blog or send me an email and I'll post them for you! stephieb@swbell.net

2 comments:

Southern Design said...

I have to laugh - I have received the following quote several times in the past week - now I read it in our bible study workbook!

"Gratitude unlocks the fullness of life. It turns what we have into enough, and more. It turns denial into acceptance, chaos into order, confusion into clarity.... It turns problems into gifts, failures into success, the unexpected into perfect timing, and mistakes into important events. Gratitude makes sense of our past, brings peace for today and creates a vision for tomorrow." ~ Melodie Beattie

Do you think God is working on me?
I've always been a thankful and grateful woman - or have I been? Have I been thankful deeply enough to my God from whom all blessings flow?

I am truly grateful for you, Stephanie, for following God's nudging and dedicating your time and heart to this bible study. Thanks for inspiring me to move out of my comfort into change. Keep blogging sister!

Jenn said...

Hey Girlie!

Love these posts! I did this study in the fall. I actually didn't finish it, so I look forward to following you!

I am thankful for YOU today!!

Love you and praying for you!

Jenn