Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Are you a complainer? I actually think of myself as a happy, fun loving gal. I don't feel like I'm a complainer...or at least I didn't until yesterday.

I started this new study called, "Lord, Change My Attitude" by James MacDonald and Barb Peil with my weekly Bible study group at Community Bible Church here in San Antonio. Well, Mr. MacDonald stepped all over my toes with his sermon we watched on video yesterday! That sucker! Since then, I've realized....or should I say God has shown me...that I do complain. As a matter of fact, I complain a lot! Here are list of a few of the stupid things I've complained about:

  • I've complained about house chores INSTEAD of praising God for a family to take care of. I remember the years without a family and kids and how I prayed for a family and kids. Why in the world am I complaining about God's answer to my prayers!
  • I've complained about people coming to check out the house that I'm trying to sell. Ok, I'm praying God will sell our home so why would I be so upset when people come by to consider buying it. Silly me!
  • I've complained about getting rain when we need the rain so bad in San Antonio.
  • I've complained about my husbands long hours at work although it's that job that provides for my family.

Ok, so this study on attitudes that I thought was for every other person in my Bible study group is apparently for me!!! I have much, much, much, improvement to do in this area. I'm seeking forgiveness from my sin of complaining and I'm asking the Lord to remind me of when I'm complaining so I can correct myself.

So, what about you? Are you a complainer? What are the consequences of your complaining? Are you willing to change?

If you're interested in finding out more about this topic, then I would encourage you to come and join us at Community Bible Church on Tuesdays from 11:30 to 1:00 pm. Books for the study are available on the weekends during service times at CBC. You can also check this blog once a week for updates. I'll be posting what I've learned.

Below is what Mr. MacDonald said in his first session. It's such good information and backed by scripture!

  • Attitude controls outcome.
  • Those who choose murmuring/complaining as their lifestyle will spend their lives in the wilderness. (Check out what happened to the complainers in Numbers 14 and what God says in 1 Corinthians 10)
  • We choose our attitude.
  • An attitude is a pattern of thinking formed over a long period of time.
  • Complaining is a sin.
  • Sin means missing the mark.
  • Complaining means "to express dissatisfaction with a circumstance which is not wrong and about which I am doing nothing myself to correct".
  • God hears our thoughts. (so even if you are complaining in your head, it's still complaining)
  • God hates complaining.
  • Go judges complaining.
  • Check out Exodus 14:12, 15:24, 16:3, and 17:3 to see what God thinks and does about complainers!
If you have questions about this study, or want to comment on this information, please post to the blog or email me at stephieb@swbell.net and I'll post it for you or answer your questions.

No comments: