Monday, July 6, 2009

Put Your Crown On! Romans 7 & 8

Even if you haven't read Romans 7 and 8 in the last week, I bet there are several verses that if I started them, you could finish them. Verses like Romans 8:1 which says, "Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus," and verses like Romans 8:28 which says, "And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to His purpose." These chapters are filled with information for Christian living. There is so much we could discuss. But this week, two verses kept my attention. Romans 8:16-17 says "The Spirit himself testifies with our spirit that we are God's children. Now if we are children, then we are heirs—heirs of God and co-heirs with Christ, if indeed we share in his sufferings in order that we may also share in his glory."

Heirs? Heirs of God? Heirs as in Royalty? I have a hard time thinking I'm royalty, but over and over in the bible it says that as followers of Christ we are heirs.

Matthew 25:34 "Then the King will say to those on his right, 'Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world."

Colossians 1:12-14 "giving thanks to the Father, who has qualified you to share in the inheritance of the saints in the kingdom of light. For he has rescued us from the dominion of darkness and brought us into the kingdom of the Son he loves, in whom we have redemption,the forgiveness of sins."

Daniel 7:18 "But the saints of the Most High will receive the kingdom and will possess it forever—yes, for ever and ever."

Ephesians 1:13-14 "And you also were included in Christ when you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation. Having believed, you were marked in him with a seal, the promised Holy Spirit, who is a deposit guaranteeing our inheritance until the redemption of those who are God's possession—to the praise of his glory."

When I think of royalty I immediately think of the Queen of England. I am like a lot of people that find her so interesting. She has such a privileged life. She lives in a beautiful home, well, actually several beautiful homes. She has servants and housekeepers. She has advisors. She gets to meet other royalty all the time. And in all of that she is very loved by her subjects because of her love for them. Oh, the life of a queen! But wait, I'm a queen too!! My daddy is the King of Kings and Lord of Lords. I have a privileged life too. I can have peace that surpasses all understanding no matter what my circumstances. I can ask my Dad for help on any matter at any time. I have the most beautiful home waiting for me in eternity. I have angels that watch over me. I have the Holy Spirit as my Advisor. I have the love of Jesus in my heart which hopefully spills out on others most days. And, I get to hang out with lots of other royal people that are brothers and sisters in Christ.

So as I start my day today, and every day, I need to think about my royal position....my obligation to live by the Spirit...to love others. I am putting my imaginary crown on! Oh, I hope others see it glowing and know that the glow is from my Heavenly Father!

What about you? Do you feel like royalty? What does Romans 7 & 8 say to you? Please post your comments to the blog or email me: stephieb@swbell.net

6 comments:

Stephanie Blakeslee said...

Emailed from my mom, Cheryl:

It is just as Brother Tracy, our Pastor, said yesterday….the trouble with our nation is man's "heart", so dominated by sinful things. Praise God for sending his Son, Jesus Christ, as a sacrifice for our sins and we are His Heirs! How sad it is that so many of us are not realizing the true happiness of living in the spirit of the Lord struggling with heart over mind matters. But, no one can ever separate us from His love, for he knows our hearts and intercedes on our behalf when we cannot, the Holy Spirit, pleading for us, helping us. So, letting the Spirit control your mind leads to life and happiness.

Love you lots,
Mom

Jenn said...

I can totally see your Crown Stephanie! The royal blood of Jesus runs through you my friend and it is quite evident!

Oh, that we all would see what Jesus has done for us. Who wouldn't want to take part in being an heir to the King of Kings!? What an awesome God and Father we have, that He loves us this much, that He would desire to share His Kingdom with little 'ole us. He takes my breath away!

Martha H. said...

I love verse 8:31, "With God on our side who can be against us." It is so easy to focus on the negatives in our society - the economy, drugs, poverty, etc, etc. But, with God on our side, wow, the possiblies are endless - and eternal. I'm reminded of one of the songs where we sing, "You are on Your throne, You are God alone." What joy that brings to us.

Stephanie Blakeslee said...

From my friend, Brenda B...

This blog was very timely for me as my uncle, Ray, is going in for his 2nd round of chemo treatments this year. He has several active spots on his lung. It was in remission for about 3 or 4 months. Anyways, I have really been praying about him, and the scriptures that keep coming to me are Romans 8:16-17, Romans 6:23, and Psalm 73:23-26. I know His name is written in the Book of Life and that alone is worth everything. I just praise the Lord that my uncle is a heir of God and a co-heir with Christ. Please join me in praying that he will be given more time on this earth, that a complete healing will be done. I also ask that he be strengthened in the battle. And I also pray that he keep looking up, knowing that Our Heavenly Father knows best the length of our time in this temporary home. Above all else, "Thy will be done."

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. They encouraged me!

Love and hugs,
Brenda

mdbarajaz said...

To me the most encouraging,uplifting part of this weeks reading was not so much that I'm royalty, but that even when I really don't feel royal at all- I can't lose! Even when I am so heartbroken all I can do is groan- the holy spirit steps in for me to pray. Even if everything I have on this earth were to be taken from me, I still can't be separated from the love of my Father. Even if things I can't even imagine were to happen to me, He says I'm still more than a conqueror!!! Wow.
Your mom is so right, though- we can't have this victorious life without loving him and surrendering to be 'called according to his purpose- something that you would think would be such a no-brainer to us all, but that many of us have to stop and remind ourselves to do every day. God, keep me focused on that conquering life!

Stephanie Blakeslee said...

Your comments are wonderful! I love seeing how the Lord is speaking to you guys through His Word. I also love learning from you guys! I see Jesus in all of you!