Monday, July 13, 2009

Watch Out!! Romans 9 & 10

Let's say you and I were sitting on a bus bench waiting for the next bus to take us some place. While we were sitting there talking we realized a lady had stepped into the street unknowingly in front of the bus that is just about to run over her. I would have to imagine that both of us would jump out of our seats yelling, "WATCH OUT!!!". We'd probably even try to push her out of the way. Even if we didn't know her, I'm certain this is what we'd do. I can't think of anyone that would just sit back and watch this lady get run over without doing something to help her. I mean, once you see the big bus coming you are confident something bad is going to happen unless you react.

Each day we see people headed to disaster...and not just any disaster but eternal disaster. Whether at Wal-Mart, the grocery store, at work or even in our neighborhoods, we are surrounded by people headed for disaster. They don't know Jesus. But for whatever reason, not all of us do anything about it. Maybe we're busy. Maybe we're concerned about what they will say to us or about us. Maybe we just don't care enough. Or maybe, we're just not confident in what we believe.

In Chapters 9 and 10 of Romans, Paul's love for others shows through. Romans 9: 1 - 3 says, "I speak the truth in Christ—I am not lying, my conscience confirms it in the Holy Spirit— I have great sorrow and unceasing anguish in my heart. For I could wish that I myself were cursed and cut off from Christ for the sake of my brothers, those of my own race, the people of Israel." And then in Romans 10:1 he says, "Brothers, my heart's desire and prayer to God for the Israelites is that they may be saved." Paul is so confident in his beliefs and is so concerned about the future of those he is speaking that he's willing to be cut off from Christ if it means all the others would be saved. And when we look back at Chapters 1 - 8 we see him screaming "WATCH OUT" so to speak.

Now all of us can't be like Paul. Obviously we have people that are called to full time ministry, and I totally get that not everyone is called to full time ministry. But with my reading this week in Romans 9 and 10, and hearing my Pastor say this past weekend, "What have you done for Christ today?", it really got me motivated. Each day we should think about what we can do for our Lord. It's good to plan to take a mission trip once a year or every so often, but what if we planned to take a mission trip each day. What if we started the day with, "Lord, show me one way today that I can serve you." Maybe those people headed for eternal disaster won't get there. Maybe we'll plant a seed for Jesus and He'll grow that seed right into eternity. And what a blessing we'll have when we get to heaven and see others there because we figuratively said, "WATCH OUT" to them

Romans 10:12 - 15 "For there is no difference between Jew and Gentile—the same Lord is Lord of all and richly blesses all who call on him, for, "Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved." How, then, can they call on the one they have not believed in? And how can they believe in the one of whom they have not heard? And how can they hear without someone preaching to them? And how can they preach unless they are sent? As it is written, "How beautiful are the feet of those who bring good news!"

  • What holds you back from telling other about Jesus?
  • What ways can you serve Jesus today?
  • What does Chapters 9 & 10 of Romans say to you?

Please post your thoughts or email them to me to stephieb@swbell.net

No comments: