Friday, September 30, 2016

The Truth WILL Set You Free!

I used to think I could not be attractive to others because I am a short and stocky girl. That is a lie. The truth of the matter is that I am fearfully and wonderfully made.

I used to think that I was a second class Christian because in my life I had messed up. I had been divorced and I had done many things that aren't pleasing to God. The truth of the matter is that everyone is a sinner and that God sent His Son to die for me even though He knew my sins.

I used to be scared of the future because of the uncertainty in my health or my finances or my relationships. The truth of the matter is that God has great plans for me in my future. His plans are not to harm me but to give me hope!

As a Christian I've learned that there is a very real enemy that wants to destroy my life. That is truth. But God, the amazing Creator of our world, reigns supreme over the enemy and have given us the Truth to navigate the lies of the enemy. The Bible says the following about truth:

"You will know the truth, and the truth will set you free." John 8:32

That is one of the most beautiful statements in the Bible in my opinion. Truth matters. Knowing truth matters. When we know truth, it helps us live in victory here in our broken world. Jesus knew the truth. In Matthew 4 Jesus was tempted by Satan. I double dog dare you to read the story! Satan lied to Jesus by distorting the truth, but Jesus fought back with the real truth. And as the Bible says, if you resist the devil he will flee from you. He certainly ran from Jesus when Jesus spoke truth to him.

2 Timothy 3:16 reminds us that all Scripture is inspired by God and it teaches us what is true. I've heard a preacher say before that the Bible is God's Basic Instructions Before Leaving Earth. That may sound funny, but I do believe it to be the case. A loving Father doesn't let His children live in a broken world without truthful instructions to navigate the broken world.

Have you picked up God's instruction manual today? Maybe you are in the middle of a struggle and you need to pick up the Bible and be reminded of the TRUTH of the matter. The truth will change you. The truth will indeed SET YOU FREE!

Lord, that we would know your Word and live in victory in this world because of it. You are so precious to have given us instructions on how to navigate this broken world. Thank you for telling us truth. Help us to read your Word and do what it says. In the precious name of Jesus - AMEN.

For additional study read and journal/discuss what God tells you in the following scriptures:

  • Matthew 4: 1 - 11
  • John 8: 31-59

No comments: