Thursday, February 11, 2016

True Safety

When I was a little girl and I felt scared, I would run to my dad because I knew he would protect me. I even remember times when my brother was picking on me, and I would run and jump in my dad's lap for safety.

Psalm 18:10 says, "The name of the Lord is a strong fortress, the godly run to Him and are safe."

This verse makes me think of running to our Heavenly Father and jumping in His lap. We are safe under His care. We can rest without worries when His arms are wrapped around us. He's got our backs.  And, as it says in Romans 10, if God is for us, who can be against us? 

If God is in Heaven and I'm down here in this broken world, how can I climb in my Father's arms? Here's a list of how I snuggle with my Savior:

  • Quiet time reading the Bible with just me and Jesus in the room
  • Singing praise songs (This happens in the shower, in my car, or even while I'm in my office.)
  • Bike riding with Jesus
  • Praying (This happens while cycling, walking, sitting in my office, in the middle of my Bible reading, etc.)
  • Studying His Word with other Believers

How do you crawl up in your Heavenly Father's lap? When is the last time you just crawled up into His lap and sat there for a while and rested?

Why don't you read through Psalm 91 right now and snuggle with your Father?

Psalm 91 (The Message Version)
 You who sit down in the High God’s presence,
    spend the night in Shaddai’s shadow,
Say this: “God, you’re my refuge.
    I trust in you and I’m safe!”
That’s right—he rescues you from hidden traps,
    shields you from deadly hazards.
His huge outstretched arms protect you—
    under them you’re perfectly safe;
    his arms fend off all harm.
Fear nothing—not wild wolves in the night,
    not flying arrows in the day,
Not disease that prowls through the darkness,
    not disaster that erupts at high noon.
Even though others succumb all around,
    drop like flies right and left,
    no harm will even graze you.
You’ll stand untouched, watch it all from a distance,
    watch the wicked turn into corpses.
Yes, because God’s your refuge,
    the High God your very own home,
Evil can’t get close to you,
    harm can’t get through the door.
He ordered his angels
    to guard you wherever you go.
If you stumble, they’ll catch you;
    their job is to keep you from falling.
You’ll walk unharmed among lions and snakes,
    and kick young lions and serpents from the path.
 “If you’ll hold on to me for dear life,” says God,
    “I’ll get you out of any trouble.
I’ll give you the best of care
    if you’ll only get to know and trust me.
Call me and I’ll answer, be at your side in bad times;
    I’ll rescue you, then throw you a party.
I’ll give you a long life,
    give you a long drink of salvation!”


I'm beginning a study of the names of God. Please join me so you can feel safe and secure all your days. Here's how you can join:

In person in San Antonio, Texas: 

  • Community Bible Church, Mondays 6:30 PM in CBC Central
  • Community Bible Church, Thursdays 9:30 AM in E222


Online through Facebook:

  • Pursuit Online (just search Facebook for this name and join us!)
We are using the workbook written by Carrie Rogers called "He Is". You can find yours online through Amazon.com or in our CBC Bookstore.

Jesus, thank You for loving us. I'm so glad you love us and You are for us. You are our everything. In Your Name I pray, Amen.

No comments: