Monday, July 20, 2015

Training the Next Generation


Nate the Great heading off to VBS 2015. 


I was taught to say "yes sir" and "yes mam" rather than "yep", and I still do that today.  I was taught to always be respectful of those older than you, and I still do that today.  I was also taught to say "fixin' to" and of course I still say that today.  (Along with a thousand other Southern slang words that are not in the English dictionary.)  We are all a product of what we were taught when we were young whether that be good or whether that be bad.

I am reminded in Proverbs if we want our kids to grow up to be respectful adults, we have to teach them how to be respectful adults when they are young.  If we want our kids to say "yes sir" and "fixin' to" then we have to teach them with our words and our actions.  What we teach the next generation today will affect our country in the future.

I want my children to know about Jesus. I want them to understand His unconditional love for them, and to be confident in the good plans He has for them. This week my son is going to Vacation Bible School at our church.  It is the most important thing for him this week.  It is even more important than his chores at home, and even brushing his teeth. (Yes, I just said VBS was more important than him brushing his teeth, but we do promote good dental hygiene as well.)  I know that if my son has a personal, daily walk with Jesus and lives out his life in line with God's Will, he will be fine.....even if he doesn't have teeth!


  • What have you taught your children (or your nieces, or nephews, or grandchildren, or neighbor's kids) in the last week?
  • Do you intentionally look for opportunities to teach the next generation about Jesus?


Jesus - Thank you for loving all of us including the little children.  I want so much for our next generation to know all about You and walk in Your Will. It is simply the best plan for their lives. Thank you for the opportunity to parent and mentor others.  Help me never to lose sight of the importance of that opportunity, and forgive me when I have failed.  In the precious name of Jesus - Amen.


No comments: