Sunday, June 21, 2009

Abraham, Paul & Aunt Wayne: Romans 3 & 4

Romans 4:3 ……… "Abraham believed God, and it was credited to him as righteousness."

My husband once told me to, “Start with the end in mind”. I was thinking about that today, and thinking what I want people to say about me when I pass from this earth into my eternal life in Glory. I couldn’t help but laugh at some things I’m sure people would say about me. I’m certain they will say I’m a Southern gal and that I like to talk. Others will say how I love to tell jokes and have fun. There’s actually a lot others could say about me, some of which I don’t care to write here!! However, if there’s one thing that I want others to say about me, it’s that they see Jesus in me, and that maybe they would even consider me a righteous women.

Paul brings up Abraham in chapter 4 of Romans and talks about his faith. I can’t imagine being told at the ripe old age of 100 that I would have a child. That is exactly what happened to Abraham. God said He would make Abraham the father of many nations and Abraham believed. My response to being told that I would have a child at 100 years old would have been more like “Why me Lord?!?!! Are you mad at me Lord? Are you sure Lord? Can I change your mind Lord?” Some righteousness I have!!!

Paul goes to great lengths to talk about our FAITH making us righteous in these chapters, not our works! Paul had studied the Old Testament and God’s law many years before becoming a follower of Christ. He had been taught we should follow the law, but trying to following the law apparently made him conscious of his sin. (Romans 3:20) He realized at some point living perfectly was impossible. As he said in Romans 3:23 and really drove home in Romans 4: 4-18, we are ALL sinners. Christianity is the only religion that believes one is entered into heaved by faith alone. All other religions believe this is accomplished through works. I always like to ask people of other faiths, “How’s that working for ya? Are you living by the law and without sin?” If they say yes, they are lying, and well, that’s a sin!

Now, we should certainly try to keep God’s law and do good works. We are saved by faith FOR works, and not by works. But faith alone is how we can be accredited with righteousness in God’s eyes.

If I look back at the struggles in my life, I don’t think I went to Jesus right from the beginning of the struggle. I don’t remember saying, “OK Lord, whatever you have for me is just fine.” When I moved to San Antonio and didn’t know anyone. I certainly struggled with loneliness, but I was here months before I looked to Jesus for help. When I lost two babies due to miscarriage I certainly looked to Jesus, but not until I talked to my doctors and tried to figure out what was going on and how we could fix the problem. And when God told me I should quit my full time job, well, let’s just say it was silly how I tried to remind Him what my bank account looked like. Where was my faith!?!?!

And then I think about my Aunt Wayne. (Yes, it’s AUNT WAYNE. It’s a Mississippi name. Her full name is Hilda Wayne and we just call her Aunt Wayne for short.) In the last several years she’s lost one child, one grandchild, and her husband. If anyone has had an excuse to be angry with God or to question His ways, it’s my Aunt Wayne. I asked her one day how she does it, “How in the world do you keep that joy in your heart during the mist of such difficult times?” Her answer….. FAITH. She said she has complete faith in God and whatever He has for her was just what she wants because she is confident His plans for her are good. Amazing faith. Faith like that of Abraham.

So how do we get this faith like Abraham, or like Paul, or even like my Aunt Wayne? I think Martha touched on it in her comment from last week. It’s a process. It’s a faith to faith process. After we first believe and begin to trust, our faith grows. But our faith grows when only we make strides to make it grow. I have faith in my husband, that he will take care of me and he will love me until the day he dies. However, I didn’t just get that after I figured out I loved him. It took spending time with him, getting to know him, sharing my thoughts with him, and being his friend before I would trust him with being my husband. I think it’s the same with God. We believe a little, and then as we read the bible and go to church, our faith grows. And then we go through hard times, and our faith grows a little more. Some faith builders are fun, some… well… some not so much.

I know my faith is growing each day. I’ve certainly learned to go to God first when there’s a problem and to trust Him. I’ve not perfected that, but I’ve gotten better at it. But as I was finishing my reading last night, I read back through Romans 3 and 4 and saw this verse:
Romans 3:3-4 What if some did not have faith? Will their lack of faith nullify God's faithfulness? Not at all! Praise God!!! God is faithful even when we’re not!
  • What are Romans 3 and 4 saying to you?
  • Is your faith increasing? If so, how?
  • Have you taken a risk for faith lately?

Post your comments by clicking below or email them to me at: stephieb@swbell.net

3 comments:

Stephanie Blakeslee said...

From my friend, Manthie:

I just read your blog this morning and loved the post on Abraham and faith. Since I have been walking with the Lord, the story of Abraham has always ministered to me. The Lord uses his life, challenges and faith to speak to me so many times, so I really enjoyed reading your post this morning. I'm actually going to write a study on him one day to teach at a life group at my church.

Recently, God has transitioned my walk of faith a bit. For such long time I believed so strongly for things in my future that I think I actually missed some of the joys of today. Right now, he has me focusing on today, this day...to live and experience everything He planned for me to give and receive today.....and then TRUST Him for my future. It has been so amazing!! I have felt less internal strife and more joy and peace than I ever have since I have been doing that. I feel as if He's saying to me, "Manthie, believe me for your future and those things I promised, pray for them, prepare for them, but don't let what's coming steal from what I have for you today." He is so sweet to me.

Anonymous said...

It was 9:10 pm last night and I was leaving CBC to head home. It had been a good day, but a long day and I was tired and ready to be home. As I traveled west on the access road - about to cross Gold Canyon, the traffic light turned yellow. I could have slammed on my brakes and stopped, but I didn't and of course the light turned red before I had fully entered the intersection. Needless to say, if there's a traffic camera at that intersection, I am busted for running that red light. Now in my defense, I did look all directions and knew no one was in danger of my hitting them. And in my defense, I had been doing the Lord's work all day and was pretty tired. And in my defense...well I have no defense. Ever been there – in that place where you simply have no defense? Romans 3:23 is just such a place – for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, totally busted and without defense. I am so glad there is a comma at the end of that statement and not a period. Verses 24 & 25(a) complete the thought – being justified as a gift by His grace through the redemption which is in Christ Jesus; whom God displayed publicly as propitiation in His blood through faith. In the case of running a red light, having no defense is not such a good thing. Should they send to me a ticket in the mail, I will pay the cost for my transgression against the law of man. In the case of salvation from sin, having no defense IS a good thing. Falling into the grace of Jesus Christ is the best and only defense we have and verse 26(b) finishes by saying – that He might be just and the justifier of the one who has faith in Jesus. I don’t know about you, but that is the best deal out there – Hallelujah, what a Savior!

mdbarajaz said...

I am enjoying this blog-study so much! Sorry for the late post, but we just got back from a family mission trip to Mission Arlington (Texas)- hard work, but a blessing, and great to be able to expose the kids to the concept of service and the blessings we have.

Our trip combined with this reading got me thinking about a key concept of faith that I struggle with sometimes... One of the leaders there spoke of a youth group that came one time and went out to do a VBS at an apartment complex. On the first day, several rough looking gang members walked through. The youth minister came to him that evening, concerned for the safety of his group, and feeling that he could not put them in jepoardy they left the next day. Was this a lack of faith?

I think it was more fundamentally a lack of being sure they were in God's will. To me, this is crucial for faith. Sometimes I hear the little nudgings, doubts (?excuses?) in my spirit and get so confused about whether God is giving me a warning, or telling me to "get up and move," or whether I am being preyed upon by darker forces trying to mess up God's plan. If I had been Abraham, I probably would have been setting up the nursery one day, then second guessing myself as to whether I 'mis-heard' God (did he really say a son? or was that....maybe he was speaking in parable and son really means something else?...etc.) One huge key, I think, to faith is knowing whatever is happening is God's will for your life. If you are sure about that, you have much more power to endure anything! (And even rejoice in our sufferings!) That faith to faith concept is so important in developing the ablility to discern God's will for your life. I'm still working on it........