Sunday, April 19, 2009

Believing God

I am so encouraged. I love reading stories about atheist that start trying to disprove Christ and Christianity, and then in the process become Christians. While doing my Bible study this week, I read about John Clayton who is a scientist and former second-generation atheists. He came to believe in God while attemptiong to disprove the Bible. I love hearing these stories of people searching to discredit Christianity but then realizing the only rational thing to do after studying history is to believe in Christ. So cool. This is the same thing that happened to former atheist, Lee Strobel. Lee has actually the author of 2 of my most favorite books, The Case for Christ and The Case for Faith. These are must read books for people that are Christians, and for those that are not. It's really neat information.

One thing I picked up from John Clayton's story was that he was taught by his parents that Christians weren't rational and church was silly. I couldn't help but wonder that what if Christian parents taught not only the Bible to their kids, but also taught their kids about the history that backs the bible. What if Christian kids going into college and leaving their homes for the first time knew that Jesus was Lord, not just because they were born again (which is very important!!), but also because it was simply historically accurate. How much stronger would their faith be when they were tested in the world? How many would turn from their faith? How many would tell others about their faith?

No comments: