Thursday, December 3, 2015

How Will You Celebrate?

I have witnessed the most amazing thing this week. I've watched Church members helping Church members AND non-Church members in their times of need. It's beautiful. I'm so moved that I could just sit in my room all day long and cry tears of joy over what I have seen. Why would someone help a complete stranger in such a caring way? Why would someone sacrifice financially to help a stranger in need? Why would someone spend their time putting together a gift for someone they have never met. I have found the answer.  Are you ready for this? Here it is: GIVING IN THE NAME OF JESUS IS BETTER THAN RECEIVING.

It truly is that simple. This giving thing is where it's at. Oh yeah, we all want that special gift under the tree on Christmas, but how many of us can remember all the gifts we've unwrapped Christmas morning? I can't remember them all. I'd have to really think about it to tell you what I got just last year. However, forever etched in my mind is the memory of watching others give to others this week in the name of Jesus. I will never forget what I've seen. Unconditional love. Sacrifice. Concern. All of these on display while the gift givers were pointing to Jesus our Savior.

What are your plans for Christmas? How will you and your family celebrate?

I'm going to celebrate the Biggest Gift ever given by giving. And I'm going to celebrate every day this month!! It's going to cost me something - maybe time, money or other resources - but selfishly I'm looking forward to the faces that might just get a glimpse of Jesus. Selfishly I'm looking forward to the amazing memories and the adventure of it all.

Happy birthday, Jesus. I'm so glad you came to save us. Help me to get over me this Christmas season and look for ways to point others to you. What a gift you have for us all. I want to share that gift with others. You are the reason for the season and I thank  you! ~ Amen.

For a deeper study:
  • Read Matthew 1, Luke 1 & 2, and John 1. Discuss or journal what God tells you about the Christmas story.

No comments: