Monday, October 12, 2015

I Have Some New Friends

While Jesus was having dinner at Levi’s house, many tax collectors and sinners were eating with him and his disciples, for there were many who followed him. When the teachers of the law who were Pharisees saw him eating with the sinners and tax collectors, they asked his disciples: “Why does he eat with tax collectors and sinners?”
On hearing this, Jesus said to them, “It is not the healthy who need a doctor, but the sick. I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners.”
Mark 2: 15 - 16 (New Living Translation)

I'm convinced that Christians shouldn't just be hanging out with Christians. As a matter of fact, if we Christians were to truly follow Jesus' example we would find ourselves having meals with outcasts and in the homes of people that are not active in church. Jesus was often seen with "sinners" while the religious leaders turned their noses up at such a thought. 

I'm embarrassed to say that up until a few months ago if you judged me by who I was hanging out with you would have said I was more like a religious leader than Jesus. Like I said, I'm embarrassed about that. Now, I love my Christian friends and I'll always have them in my life. Acts 2 clearly lays out what a community of Believers should look like.  I'll always have a community like that in my life. But, what about those without a community? How are they to hear about true hope unless we tell them? And, how are we to tell them if we aren't with them?

I've started hanging out with people some may consider outcasts. Several of my new friends are actually homeless. While I had thought this was going to be hard for me, I find that I want to be with them. I love hearing their unfiltered stories of what is going on in their lives. They make me laugh, although some have made me cry. They are real people with real stories, some of which I can relate to.  I think my Real God loves them ever so much. I think if Jesus were to return today we would find Him hanging out with the outcasts, and not necessarily in a church. And quite frankly, that makes me want to be with them even more.
  • What about you? Think about where you spend your time each week. Have you spent any time with non-Believers in the last month? Are you purposefully engaging in relationships with others outside the walls of the church? If not, what is stopping you? 

Jesus, thank you for opening my eyes to the different people in my city outside of the church walls that are truly amazing, colorful, bright, hurting, funny, and lively people. You've made some great things and I'm thankful for the opportunities you've given me to be around these precious creations. I pray I won't ever close myself up in a church and forget about the rest of the world. Forgive me for when I have done just that. To You be all the glory - Amen.


For a more in depth study read and journal what God tells you with these scriptures:
  • Luke 19:1-10 (Zacchaeus was the "chief" tax collector - oh, dear!)
  • John 4: 1 - 42 (The outcast woman at the well!)
  • Romans 10: 5 - 15 (Here's the key to have pretty feet!)


No comments: