Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Being Thankful in ALL Circumstances


Well Happy New Year!  2013 is off to a great start, with one exception.  The flu has hit the Blakeslee home.  (long sigh.......)  We all had our flu shots, but apparently this year that wasn't quite enough.  My son came down with a high fever this past weekend, and since then I've played nurse, got up in the middle of the night to check on him and give him medicine, put Lysol on more door knobs and light switches than my husband would say is necessary, cancelled appointments, rescheduled appointments, and a multitude of other typical chores that go along with being a wife and a mother.  

When the doctor confirmed he had the flu, I was frustrated.  I'm sure I rolled my eyes and started thinking of how inconvenient this was going to be.  I had plans for this week and they did NOT include the flu.  This was going to be tough for me!  

Interestingly enough my son, the one with the 103 degree temperature and the flu, didn't react the same way I did.  When the doctors and nurses poked and prodded at him, he replied, "Thank you."  When they told him he had the flu he responded, "OK."  And yesterday, when he was laying on the couch he said, "Mom, I'm still so blessed even though I'm sick."  We were both walking this together, but his reaction was very different from mine.

Last week I taught a class of high school leaders to not have problems in 2013, but yet to have opportunities.  This week I'm complaining about the problems that have just entered my life.  Do you see the "opportunity" here for ME?  What is wrong with me?!?!?!?  God did not give me a problem!  God loves me and only wants what is best for me.  I don't know why He allowed my sweet child to get the flu, but I know He only allows me opportunities to grow and He does not just throw problems my way to pick on me.  It took my son's attitude to remind me of what I had been teaching!

God, thank you for sending the flu to my house.  Thank you for the time I have had with my son this week and for the lesson I have learned through it.  Thank you Lord for growing me through opportunities, not problems.  Thank you, Lord, for healing my son and for protecting the rest of us from getting sick.  Thank you, Lord, for living in my son's heart and speaking to me through his little mouth. Forgive me for my selfishness and bad attitudes.  I love you and I want to be more like you.  You are the reason I can have joy in all circumstances.  For in You, there are MANY reasons for me to have joy. ~ Amen


 1 Thessalonians 5:18 "Give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus."


No comments: