Thursday, October 22, 2009

Prayer

If there is one thing different denominations and different religions can agree on, it's the need for prayer. If I were to ask all my friends if prayer were important, I can't imagine any of them would say "no". We know prayer is important. It doesn't take much of reading the bible to figure out that prayer is important.

2 Chronicles 7:14 says "If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land.

Luke 6:12 says "One of those days Jesus went out to a mountainside to pray, and spent the night praying to God."

Mark 9: 28-29 says "After Jesus had gone indoors, His disciples asked Him privately, 'Why couldn't we drive it out?' He replied, 'This kind can come out only by prayer.' "

Old Testament and New Testment are both in agreement. Prayer is important. So why don't more Christian pray more often? Why isn't prayer the first thing we think of when we have a problem, or even when we have something to celebrate? For me, prayer is good but I struggle with getting enough of it. And actually, how much is enough of it?

In the next few weeks I'm going to take a journey through the Bible looking up different prayers. I'm going to focus on increasing my prayer life. I'm going to set a goal to pray more for others. I'm going to learn what the Bible says about prayer. And in the process, I'm going to committ to reading the book 31 Days of Prayer by Ruth Myers. Maybe you can read along with me and chat with me on this blog. Maybe we can both increase our prayer life and better our relationship with our Heavenly Father.

Are you in? Or do you need to pray about it? (-:

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I've also been searching for increasing y prayer life. I have been directed toward a great book which has revealed a lot of insight to me regarding increasing the nature of my prayers and my relationship with God. The book is simply How to Pray by Ronnie Floyd.
I happened to also be doing the same bible study as you around the same time this past month. Anointed Transformed and Redeemed I loved the study of David and was greatly inspired by Priscilla Shirer, Beth Moore and Kay Arthur.
ps Bruce Mckee is my husbands google account I don't have a google account so I used his to post this message. My name is Beth and my email is Bethmckee1@mac.com